dr. J.G. van den Born (Riyan)
Universitair hoofddocent - Institute for Science in Society
Riyan van den Born is associate professor Socio-Ecological interactions and studies human-nature relationships and societal aspects of nature conservation and water management. Despite many efforts, biodiversity is still declining. Successful nature conservation needs public support and connectivity to nature and motivations to act for nature are crucial components for that. Recently, Riyan has been working on an EU project investigating motivations to act for nature and national projects into motivations of green volunteers, citizen scientists (biodiversity monitoring) and ecological citizenship of youngsters. Since December 2018, she is director of the Centre for Connecting Human and Nature. In this research centre, financed by several nature conservation organisations in the Netherlands, research will focus on the role of childhood experiences for engaged citizenship.
- Riyan J.G. van den Born, Arts, B., Admiraal, J., Beringer, A., Knights, P., Molinario, E., Polajnar Horvat, K., Porras-Gomez, C., Smrekar, A., Soethe, N., Vivero-Pol, J.L., Ganzevoort, W., Bonaiuto, M., Knippenberg, L., De Groot, W.T. (2017). The missing pillar in the justification of nature conservation. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, special issue
- Admiraal J.F., Van den Born, R.J.G., Beringer, A., Bonaiuto, F., Cicero, L., Hiedanpää, L., Knights, P., Knippenberg, L., Molinario, E., Musters,C.J.M., Naukkarinen, O., Polajnar, K., Popa, F., Smrekar, A., Soininen, T., Porras-Gomez, C., Soethe, N., Vivero-Pol, J.L., de Groot, W.T. (2017) Motivations for committed nature conservation action in Europe. Environmental Conservation 44(2) 148-157.
- Ganzevoort, W., Van den Born, R.J.G., Halffman, W., Turnhout, S. (2017) Sharing biodiversity data: citizen scientists’ concerns and motivations. Biodiversity & Conservation Volume 26, Issue 12, pp 2821–2837.
- Debating Science: Introduction to Science in Society
- Internship Bachelor Biology
- MSc Human Biology internship
- Master (Medical) Biology SMI/SIS internship
- Master (Medical) Biology education internship
- Master (Medical) Biology research internship 1
- Master (Medical) Biology research internship 2
- Master Thesis (TWM)
- Methods in Societal Research: Science in Society
- Research Proposal
- Review Article
- Science and Societal Interaction
- Science in Society Research Project