dr. K. Durga Prasad (Kavya)
Medewerker - Plant Systems Physiology
6525 AJ NIJMEGEN
Interne postcode: 71
6500 GL NIJMEGEN
I am a plant developmental biologist, interested in a natural process of root regeneration. I am intrigued by the amazing ability of plant roots to regenerate their entire tip, including stem cells, post damage. To pursue Doctoral research in the field of my interest, I joined Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Thiruvananthapuram (IISER TVM), located at God’s own country (Kerala), in India. Exploiting genetics and confocal imaging, I delineated the molecular basis underlying root tip regeneration. I also demonstrated the remarkable ability of PLETHORA2 (PLT2) protein in transforming the regeneration-incompetent differentiating cells of root, to regeneration-competent ones. After the completion of PhD, I joined Radboud University as a Postdoc (Radboud Excellence Fellow). Here, I am exploiting my expertise in regeneration-related techniques and exploring an elusive area in the field of plant regeneration which is ''epigenetic regulation of root tip regeneration by histone deacetylases (HDACs)''.
- Durgaprasad, K., Roy, M. V., Venugopal M., A., Kareem, A., Raj, K., Willemsen, V., Mähönen, A.P., Scheres, B., Prasad, K., 2019. Gradient Expression of Transcription Factor Imposes a Boundary on Organ Regeneration Potential in Plants. Cell Reports. 29, 453–463. Featured on cover page. Recommended as an article of special significance in the field of Biology by ‘Faculty of 1000 (F1000 Prime)’. Volledige tekst
- Radhakrishnan, D., Kareem, A., Durgaprasad, K., Sreeraj, E., Sugimoto, K., Prasad, K., 2018. Shoot regeneration: a journey from acquisition of competence to completion. Current Opinion in Plant Biology. 41, 23–31. Volledige tekst
- Durgaprasad, K., Roy, M. V., Venugopal, A., Kareem, A., Pekka, M.A., Prasad, K., 2017. Unique determinant among ‘PLETHORA’ of factors in conferring regenerative potential to organ beyond the competence zone. Mechanisms of Development. 145, S51. Volledige tekst
- Kareem, A., Durgaprasad, K., Sugimoto, K., Du, Y., Pulianmackal, A.J., Trivedi, Z.B., Abhayadev, P. V., Pinon, V., Meyerowitz, E.M., Scheres, B., Prasad, K., 2015. PLETHORA genes control regeneration by a two-step mechanism. Current Biology. 25, 1017–1030. Featured on cover page. Volledige tekst
- Pulianmackal, A.J*., Kareem, A.V.K*., Durgaprasad, K*., Trivedi, Z.B., Prasad, K., 2014. Competence and regulatory interactions during regeneration in plants. Frontiers in Plant Science. 5, 142. *First authors Volledige tekst
- 2012 - ‘National INSPIRE Fellowship’ to pursue PhD, awarded in recognition of being gold medallist in M.Sc.
- 2017 - ‘Best poster presentation award’ in the International Conference on Plant Developmental Biology (ICPDB) and 3rd National Arabidopsis Meeting, held during 12th-16th December 2017, at NISER, Bhubaneswar, India.
- 2017 - ‘Student Travel award’ from The Company of Biologists, UK, to attend the 18th International Congress of Developmental Biology, held during 18th-22nd June 2017, at NUS, Singapore.