dr. R.M. Gellert (Raphaël)
Universitair docent - Vaksectie Burgerlijk Recht
Universitair docent - Interdisciplinary Hub for Digitalization and Society
Raphael Gellert is an assistant professor in private law and ICT at the law faculty of the Radboud University, Nijmegen.
The core of his research revolves around the regulation of technologies, and in particular digital technologies, which he conducts in an interdisciplinary fashion.
Resorting to so-called science and technology studies (STS), risk and risk management literature (from technical risk management to governmentality), or regulation theory, he has written on such topics as data protection law, data protection impact assessments, risk management, nanotechnology regulation, the precautionary principle and sustainable development, or smart energy grids.
He completed his PhD at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel in 2017, on the risk-based approach to data protection law (entitled “Understanding the risk-based approach to data protection: An analysis of the links between law, regulation, and risk”), and a reworked version thereof is forthcoming with Oxford University Press.
More recently, he has been writing on issues of machine learning and algorithmic regulation from the perspective of law and information theory.
- Gellert, R.M. (2021). Comparing definitions of data and information in data protection law and machine learning. A useful way forward to meaningfully regulate algorithms? Regulation & Governance. doi: 10.1111/rego.12349 Volledige tekst
- Gellert, R.M. (2020). The Risk-Based Approach to Data Protection. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Gellert, R.M. (2018). Understanding the notion of risk in the General Data Protection Regulation. Computer Law & Security Review, 34 (2), 279-288. doi: 10.1016/j.clsr.2017.12.003
- Gellert, R.M. (2016). Redefining the smart grids’ smartness. Or why it is impossible to adequately address their risks to privacy and data protection if their environmental dimension is overlooked. Journal of Law, Information and Science, 24 (1). Volledige tekst
- Gellert, R.M. (2016). We Have Always Managed Risks in Data Protection Law. Understanding the Similarities and Differences Between the Rights-Based and the Risk-Based Approaches to Data Protection. European Data Protection Law Review, 2 (4), 481-492.
- Gellert, R.M. (2015). Data protection: a risk regulation? Between the risk management of everything and the precautionary alternative. International Data Privacy Law, 5 (1), 3-19.
In de media
- 05 juli 2019 - The European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) interviewed me in their podcast on the topic of "The risk-based approach under the data protection reform" Meer informatie
Affiliated researcher at the Research Group on Law, Science, Technology & Society (LSTS) of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)
(01 augustus 2017)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Member of the editorial team of the journal "Technology and Regulation (TechReg)"
(01 september 2019)
Technology and Regulation (TechReg)