prof. dr. J.R. Homberg (Judith)
Hoofdonderzoeker - Donders Center of Medical Neurosciences
Hoofdonderzoeker - Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
Hoogleraar - Faculteit der Medische Wetenschappen (Radboudumc)
6525 EN NIJMEGEN
Interne postcode: 205
6500 HB NIJMEGEN
Our translational animal experimental research focuses on (serotonergic) genetic and environmental factors that influence brain development and behavioural traits. Interactions between these factors may lead to maladaptive emotional responses as seen in stress-related disorders and addiction, but also cognitive improvements, depending on environmental conditions. It is our overarching hypothesis that the cognitive improvements can be used to offset the maladaptive emotional responses. To test this hypothesis we use unique mutant rats that model human genetic polymorphisms, including the serotonin transporter knockout rat. We also investigate the role of serotonin and environmental factors in brain development and long-term effects on behaviour and cognition. Our main expertise is measuring basic and complex (translational) behaviours in rats, which we combine with invasive measurements, pharmacological manipulations, in vivo neurochemical measurements and neuroimaging, molecular genetic analyses, and immunohistochemical assessments.Onderzoeksthema Onderzoeksgroep
- Schipper P, Hiemstra M, Bosch K, Nieuwenhuis D, Adinolfi A, Glotzbach S, Borghans B, Lopresto D, Fernández G, Klumpers F, Hermans EJ, Roelofs K, Henckens MJAG, Homberg JR (2019) The association between serotonin transporter availability and the neural correlates of fear bradycardia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 116(51):25941-25947. Volledige tekst
- Greven CU, Lionetti F, Booth C, Aron EN, Fox E, Schendan HE, Pluess M, Bruining H, Acevedo B, Bijttebier P, Homberg J (2019) Sensory Processing Sensitivity in the context of. Environmental Sensitivity: A critical review and development of research agenda.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 98:287-305. Volledige tekst
- Verheij MMM, Contet C, Karel P, Latour J, van der Doelen RHA, Geenen B, van Hulten JA, Meyer F, Kozicz T, George O, Koob GF, Homberg JR (2018) Median and Dorsal Raphe Serotonergic Neurons Control Moderate Versus Compulsive Cocaine Intake. Biol Psychiatry. 83(12):1024-1035.
- Kroeze Y, Oti M, van Beusekom E, Cooijmans RHM, van Bokhoven H, Kolk SM, Homberg JR, Zhou H (2018) Transcriptome Analysis Identifies Multifaceted Regulatory Mechanisms Dictating a Genetic Switch from Neuronal Network Establishment to Maintenance During Postnatal Prefrontal Cortex Development. Cereb Cortex. 28(3):833-851. Volledige tekst
- Miceli S, Nadif Kasri N, Joosten J, Huang C, Kepser L, Proville R, Selten MM, van Eijs F, Azarfar A, Homberg JR, Celikel T, Schubert D (2017) Reduced Inhibition within Layer IV of Sert Knockout Rat Barrel Cortex is Associated with Faster Sensory Integration. Cereb Cortex. 27(2):933-949. Volledige tekst
Onderzoeksbeurzen en -prijzen
- 2019 - Eranet Neuron (UNMET): understanding the role of glutamate in the antidepressant-induced switching to mania
- 2019 - H2020 (CANDY): Comorbid Analysis of Neurodevelopmental Disorders and Epilepsy
- 2019 - DCMN: Towards clinical management of the GHB pandemonium through translational collaboration
- 2017 - Eranid (STANDUP): Sensory processing sensitivity and drug use recovery pathways
- 2010 - NWO VIDI grant: Gene x environment interactions: for-better-and-for-worse>
- Early Nutrition for a Healthy Brain (funded by EFRO): Rat, touch screen tasks, cognition, homecage, obesity. Collaboration with Metris BV, Mead Johnson, Dr. Amanda Kiliaan, Dr. Esther Aarts, Dr. Gabi Janzen a.o.
- Neurodevelopmental effects of serotonin (funded by DCMN, Science without Borders, KNAW China Exchange Programme): Human and rat, serotonin transporter, tryptophan hydroxylase, placenta, behaviour and cognition, gene expression, electrophysiology, neurodevelopment, myelination, neurochemistry, nanosystem, BDNF. Collaboration with Prof. Jan Buitelaar, Dr. Natalia Alenina, Prof. Piotr Popik, Dr. Dirk Schubert, Dr. Sharon Kolk, Dr. Jo Zhou, Dr. Liu Chunqing, Dr. Van der Ven
- The neurobiological mechanisms of GHB addiction (funded by DCMN): Human and rat, cognition, coma, neurotoxicity. Collaboration with Prof. Arnt Schellekens
- The establishment of a translational test battery for neurodevelopmental disorders (CANDY; funded by H2020): autism, ADHD, Shank3 knockout mice, biobehavioural domains, excitation/inhibition balance, functional MRI. Collaboration with Prof. Jan Buitelaar, Dr. Joanes Grandjean, ea.
- The effect of early life stress on animal welfare (LIFESTART; funded by EFRO): early life stress, c-FosTRAP mice, gut permeability, gut and mother milk microbiome, brain development, behaviour. Collaboration with Dr. Marloes Henckens, Noldus IT, Sorama, Dr. Klaske Norren, ea.