dr. B.R. van Leeuwen (Bart)
6525 AJ NIJMEGEN
6500 HK NIJMEGEN
Associate Professor Political Theory
I studied philosophy at the University of Amsterdam (MA in 1995, cum laude) and defended my dissertation at the Institute of Philosophy KU Leuven on recognition and cultural diversity (2001, summa cum laude). I have joined the Political Science
Department of the Radboud University since 2009.
A significant part of my research (past and present) concerns the way in which citizens and political institutions deal, or should deal, with social and cultural diversity. I have focused on different aspects of this general theme. My book Erkenning, identiteit en verschil (Acco, 2003) and a number of subsequent articles, examined the question of how a formal recognition of social attachments can be articulated and justified. My interest in the issue of racism follows from these reflections. Philosophers have spent much time and energy on the moral justification of respect, while neglecting the questions of why people violate respect and how to prevent, or deal with, such violations. My research on recognition was supported by the Aspirant grant FWO-Vlaanderen (PhD) and my research on racism was supported by the Veni grant NWO (Postdoc).
For over a decade now, my research has focused on the domain of urban political theory. I have had my papers accepted in journals across the disciplines of political theory, ethics, social theory and urban studies on subjects like urban justice, segregation, urban citizenship, and homelessness. In a recent publication, I have developed a normative framework from which these different issues can be addressed coherently (2022). This provides the basis for a book project provisionally entitled Urban Justice: A Recognition-Theoretical Perspective.
Methodologically, I am in favor of using evidence from the social sciences to inform debates in political philosophy.
I am co-director of the Nijmegen Political Philosophy Workshop (www.ru.nl/nppw). I am chair of the political science program committee.
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2023). Is Architecture Relevant for Political Theory? European Journal of Political Theory. doi: 10.1177/14748851211063672 Volledige tekst
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2022). What is the Point of Urban Justice? Access to Human Space. Acta Politica, 57, 169-190. doi: 10.1057/s41269-020-00178-0
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2019). If we are flâneurs, can we be cosmopolitans? Urban Studies, 56 (2), 301-316. doi: 10.1177/0042098017724120 Volledige tekst
- Leeuwen, B.R. van & Merry, M.S. (2019). Should the Homeless be Forcibly Helped? Public Health Ethics, 12 (1), 30-43. doi: 10.1093/phe/phy006
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2018). To the Edge of the Urban Landscape: Homelessness and the Politics of Care. Political Theory, 46 (4), 586-610. doi: 10.1177/0090591716682290 Volledige tekst
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2015). Absorbing the agony of agonism? The limits of cultural questioning and alternative variations of intercultural civility. Urban Studies, 52 (4), 793-808. doi: 10.1177/0042098014528548
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2014). Urban Civility or Urban Community? A False Opposition in Richard Sennett’s Conception of Public Ethos. European Journal of Social Theory, 17 (1), 3-23. doi: 10.1177/1368431013484002
- Leeuwen, B.R. van & Vintges, K. (2010). A Dream, Dreamed by Reason … Hollow Like All Dreams: French Existentialism and Its Critique of Abstract Liberalism. Hypatia : a Journal of Feminist Philosophy, 25 (3), 653-674. doi: 10.1111/j.1527-2001.2010.01109.x
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2010). Dealing with Urban Diversity: Promises and Challenges of City Life for Intercultural Citizenship. Political Theory, 38 (5), 631-657. doi: 10.1177/0090591710372869
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2008). On the Affective Ambivalence of Living with Cultural Diversity. Ethnicities, 8 (2), 147-176. doi: 10.1177/1468796808088921
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2008). Racist Variations of Bad Faith: A Critical Study of Lewis Gordon’s Phenomenology of Racism. Social Theory and Practice, 34 (1), 49-69. doi: 10.5840/soctheorpract20083413
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2007). A Formal Recognition of Social Attachments: Expanding Axel Honneth’s Theory of Recognition. Inquiry, 50 (2), 180-205. doi: 10.1080/00201740701239897
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2007). To What Extent is Racism a Magical Transformation? An Existential-Phenomenological Perspective on Racism and Anti-Racism. Journal of Social Philosophy, 38 (2), 292-310. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9833.2007.00380.x
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2006). Social Attachments as Conditions for the Condition of the Good Life? A Critique of Will Kymlicka’s Moral Monism. Philosophy & Social Criticism, 32 (3), 401-428. doi: 10.1177/0191453706063215
- Leeuwen, B.R. van (2003). Erkenning, identiteit en verschil: multiculturalisme en leven met culturele diversiteit. Leuven: Acco
Onderzoeksbeurzen en -prijzen
- 2004 - Veni grant NWO (Postdoc)
- 1996 - Aspirant grant FWO-Vlaanderen (PhD)
- 2020 - 2024 PhD grant, Institute for Management Research (IMR), Radboud University, Internal PhD competition 2018. Main applicant: dr. Bart van Leeuwen, co-applicant: prof. dr. Arnoud Lagendijk, team member: prof. dr. Marcel Wissenburg. Project title: Gentrification, Conflict and the Struggle for Recognition: An Interdisciplinary Approach.
- 2016 - Senior Teacher of the Year, Nijmegen School of Management, Radboud University.