drs. M.J. Mellion-Doorewaard (Michelle)
Medewerker - Internationalisation, Communication & external Relations
Michelle Mellion plays a role in furthering internationalisation in higher education by advising students, support staff and colleagues on how they can improve their English. Students at the NSM can receive advice on how to improve their speaking, reading, writing and listening skills. Study advisors and lecturers can refer students to her whose academic performance may be suffering due to difficulties in studying in English.
Her tasks regarding Bachelor’s and Master’s students consist of the following:
• administering the OOPT (Oxford Online Placement Test) to students planning to
study at a university abroad
• recommending English courses on offer at the university’s language centre
• teaching the optional course Business English and training students to pass the
C1 Cambridge English Business Higher Exam.
As the faculty's English Language Consultant, her expertise also lies in the following areas:
• editing research articles written by PhD candidates
• consulting with PhDs on how to improve their academic writing in English
• offering a series of workshops to PhDs in Communicative Competence to foster
communication with their supervisors and to improve their presentation skills.
Initially, the workshops were offered to PhDs from China, Indonesia and Vietnam as they often require additional support with their English. Michelle has acquired a great deal of experience in advising both Dutch and international students, staff and colleagues on how to improve their English language proficiency. Each week she holds consultations hours on Thursday afternoons.
- Bi-lingualism/Multi-lingualism/English Medium Instruction (EMI)
- Radboud Post-colonial Reading Group is a small community of colleagues and students in which a communal space is shared to discuss articles or chapters that have been read by all of the participants in advance and in which a moderator initiates the discussion in English. Decolonization, for example, is one of the topics discussed and the field is geographically and historically widespread from Indonesia to the Caribbean. Everyone is welcome to attend, also those from outside the university. Meetings are held monthly on Tuesday afternoons in the Global Lounge. Meer informatie
Editing academic and professional texts
Giving training courses to international Master's students and PhD students/government employees
Translating texts from Dutch to English
(01 januari 2009)
To the Letter