prof. dr. H.W. de Regt (Henk)
Hoogleraar - Institute for Science in Society
My research centers around the theme of 'understanding'. I have investigated the nature of scientific understanding, as it is produced by expert scientists, via philosophical analysis and historical case studies. This has led me to develop a contextual theory of scientific understanding that acknowledges the historical and disciplinary variation in criteria for understanding. My work on scientific understanding has culminated in the monograph 'Understanding Scientific Understanding' (Oxford University Press, 2017), which received the Lakatos Award in 2019.
In my future research, I want to extend my analysis of understanding to questions regarding the interaction between science and society, such as public understanding of science, the nature of expertise, and inter- and transdisciplinary communication and understanding.
- H.W. de Regt and E. Koster, The hows and whys of teaching philosophy of science: a comparative analysis. European Journal for Philosophy of Science 11 (2021), article 106. Volledige tekst
- H.W. de Regt, Understanding, values, and the aims of science. Philosophy of Science 87 (2020), pp. 921-932. Volledige tekst
- H.W. de Regt, From explanation to understanding: Normativity lost? Journal for General Philosophy of Science 50 (2019), 327-343. Volledige tekst
- H.W. de Regt, Understanding Scientific Understanding. New York: Oxford University Press, 2017. Volledige tekst
- H.W. de Regt, Scientific understanding: truth or dare? Synthese 192 (2015), pp. 3781-3797. Volledige tekst
Onderzoeksbeurzen en -prijzen
- 2019 - Lakatos Award 2019 voor Understanding Scientific Understanding. Meer informatie
- 2019 - Elected as member of the Academie des Philosophie des Sciences (International Academy of Philosophy of Science). Meer informatie
- 2018 - NWO grant for PhD project “Visualizing the brain: A philosophical analysis of imaging techniques as tools for understanding the brain” (co-applicant prof. Gerben Meynen; PhD researcher Linda Holland, MSc).
- 2014 - Grant for research project “Kinds and degrees of understanding: The interplay between scientific expertise and everyday understanding” funded by Fordham University, New York, and the John Templeton Foundation.
- 2009 - Lorentz Fellowship, Netherland Institute for Advanced Study (NIAS), Wassenaar, and Lorentz Center, Leiden. Meer informatie