prof. dr. K. Roelofs (Karin)
Hoogleraar - Behavioural Science Institute
Principal Investigator - Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
Principal Investigator - Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
Hoogleraar - Klinische psychologie
Karin Roelofs is Professor of Experimental Psychopathology at the Behavioural Science Institute (BSI) and chair of the PI-group “Affective Neuroscience” at the Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging (DCCN), Radboud University Nijmegen (RU).
She studies psychological and neuroendocrine mechanisms underlying social-motivational behavior in healthy individuals and in patients with stress-related and social-motivational disorders, such as social anxiety and aggression. She uses various brain imaging (fMRI, MEG) techniques, combined with neural stimulation (TMS, tACS) or pharmacological interventions (steroid hormones) during emotion control and decision making tasks. In addition, she studies the influence of stress on the (neural) development of emotion control in longitudinal samples, including the Nijmegen Longitudinal Study and a large police cohort.
Important research questions are: How do people regulate their emotional actions? Can we improve emotion control by administering hormones, by directly influencing brain activity or by real time biofeedback? Can we predict who will develop psychopathology on the basis of freeze and fight-or-flight tendencies in longitudinal studies? Answering these questions will eventually lead to increased insight in affective disorders and promote their early detection and treatment.
Karin Roelofs received several European grants for her research (an ERC-starting, ERC-consolidator and several collaborative Fp7 and Horizon2020 grants). In addition, she received several national grants from the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO: VENI, VIDI, VICI and Brain & Cognition grants). Furthermore, she is a registered GZ psychologist (BIG) and cognitive behavioral therapist (VCGT).
- Bramson, B., Meijer, S., van Nuland, A., Toni, I., Roelofs, K. (2023). Anxious individuals shift emotion control from lateral frontal pole to dorsolateral preforntal cortex. Nature Communication 14, 4880. Volledige tekst
- Roelofs K., Bramson B., Toni I. (2023). A neurocognitive theory of flexible emotion control: The role of the lateral frontal pole in emotion regulation. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1525(1):28-40. Volledige tekst
- Roelofs K. Dayan, P. (2022). Freezing revisited: Coordinated autonomic and central optimization of threat coping. Nature Reviews Neuroscience, 23, 568-580. Volledige tekst
- Kaldewaij R, Koch SBJ, Zhang W, Hashemi MM, Klumpers F, Roelofs K. (2021). Prefrontal control during emotion regulation predicts resilience to post traumatic stress symptoms. Nature Human Behaviour. Volledige tekst
- Bramson B, den Ouden HE, Toni I, Roelofs K. (2020). Improving emotional-action control by targeting long-range phase-amplitude neuronal coupling. eLife. 9:e59600. Volledige tekst
Onderzoeksbeurzen en -prijzen
- 2018 - Consolidator Grant, European Research Council (ERC-CoG). Role: Primary applicant. Title: DARE2APPROACH”: A Neurocognitive Approach to Alleviating Persistent Avoidance in Anxiety Disorders Meer informatie
- 2020 - NWO Crossover Grant. Role WP-leader (PI: P.Roelfsema). Title: INTENSE: Innovative Neurotechnology for Society
- 2017 - Horizon2020 Personalized Medicine grant. Role: Co-applicant (PI: Kalisch). Title: “DYNAMORE: Dynamic modelling of resilience Meer informatie
- 2013 - VICI grant from NWO: Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (€1.500,000). Role: Primary applicant. Title: Police In-action. The role of freeze-fight-flight tendencies in post traumatic stress. (grant No. 016 085 354). Meer informatie
- 2013 - Starting grant, European Research Council (ERC-StG). Role: Primary applicant. Title: The Neural control of human Freeze-Fight-flight. (grant No. ERC-StG-2012-313749). Meer informatie
- 2019 - 2025 "DARE2APPROACH: A Neurocognitive Approach to Alleviating Persistent Avoidance in Anxiety Disorders." This 5-year lasting project is funded by the European Research Council (ERC-COG). It will run from Jan 2019- 2024 Meer informatie
- 2015 - 2021 "PIA: Police In-action: The role of freeze-fight-flight tendencies in post traumatic stress." This 5-year lasting project is funded by the NWO (VICI scheme) and involves a collaboration between the RU and the National Police. It's acronym is "PIA" and it will run from Feb 2014 until Feb 2019 at the Donders Institute, Nijmegen Meer informatie
- 2020 - 2027 “INTENSE: Innovative Neurotechnology for Society.” This 7-year project is funded by an NWO Crossover Grant (role WP-leader, PI: P. Roelfsema)
- 2017 - 2023 “BIOCHILL: Enhancing Police Performance under Stress Through Immersive Biofeedback Training.” This collaborative research program is funded by NWO (creative Industry grant) and involves a collaboration between the BSI, Police Academy, Engine Co 4, Ijsfontein, and CbusineZ Meer informatie
- 2017 - 2023 “DYNAMORE: Dynamic modelling of resilience. This European consortium grant is part of INTRESA (International Resilience Research Alliance) and funded by a Horizon2020 Personalized Medicine grant Meer informatie
Member Selection committee for the ERC Advanced Grant European Research Council
Board Member NijCare
Elected Member Academia Europaea (AE)
Elected Member Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences ( KNAW)
Founding member Association of ERC grantees (a-ERC-g)
Task force Neurolab.NL (NWA)
Member INTRESA (International Resilience Research Alliance)
Advisory board: Stress.nl