dr. E.W.M. Rommes (Els)
Universitair docent - Culturele antropologie en Ontwikkelingsstudies
Universitair docent - Radboud Social Cultural Research
Els Rommes studied public policy and public administration and received her PhD at Twente University in gender and STS in 2002. She has been visiting researcher at the faculty of interdisciplinary studies at the NTNU in Norway and at SFU Vancouver Canada, guest professor at the faculty of computer science and feminist studies at Bremen University and at the department Gender and Diversity at University of Applied Sciences Rhein-Waal in Germany. She has worked as assistant professor at Gender and Diversity Studies since 2002. From 2005 to 2010 Els Rommes was coordinator of the PhD education of the national STS research school WTMC (science, technology and modern culture) and is founder and coordinator of the international master specialization ‘diversities in youth care’ since 2015. She participated in EU funded projects SIGIS (Strategies of Inclusion of Gender in the Information Society) ‘IMAGES’, ‘Motivation’, ‘UseITSmartly’ and EIGE projects as well as having been PI of various large-scale national projects. Els Rommes has published extensively on gender and ICTs, occupational choices, youth and sexualities. She has been a consultant for various commercial, governmental and European research groups and organizations and member of various boards, program committees and review committees.
- Oudshoorn, N., Rommes, E., & Stienstra, M. (2004). Configuring the user as everybody: Gender and design cultures in information and communication technologies. Science, Technology, & Human Values, 29(1), 30-63.
- Rommes, E., Bath, C., & Maass, S. (2012). Methods for intervention: Gender analysis and feminist design of ICT. Science, technology, & human values, 37(6), 653-662.
- Klapwijk, R., & Rommes, E. (2009). Career orientation of secondary school students (m/f) in the Netherlands. International Journal of Technology and Design Education, 19(4), 403.
- Rommes, E., Overbeek, G., Scholte, R., Engels, R., & De Kemp, R. (2007). ‘I'm not Interested in Computers’: Gender-based occupational choices of adolescents. Information, Community and Society, 10(3), 299-319.
- Van Gorp, B., Rommes, E., & Emons, P. (2014). From the wizard to the doubter: Prototypes of scientists and engineers in fiction and non-fiction media aimed at Dutch children and teenagers. Public Understanding of Science, 23(6), 646-659.
Onderzoeksbeurzen en -prijzen
- 2019 - NWO-zonmw GGz ‘Effects of an early intervention approach (DSAV) to improve the accessibility of mental health care and reduce mental health problems amongst vulnerable (ethnic minority) youth’>
- 2019 - VCVGZ 'De invloed van culturele en levensbeschouwelijke waarden op de aard, redenen en effecten van interculturele communicatiebotsingen tussen Nederlandse POH-GGZ en Turks-Nederlandse GGZ-patiënten en de rol van tolkendiensten in de huisartsenpraktijk.'>
- 2015 - NWO WOTRO project ‘Breaking the Shame. Towards improving SRHR education for adolescents and youth in Bangladesh’>
- 2013 - EU IEE project ‘UseIT Smartly: Peer to Peer Education for Youths on Smart Use of Information and Communication Technologies’>
- 2012 - FWOS Project ‘Sexual development and Diversity; diversity, space and sexual identity’>