dr. M.W. Tangermann (Michael)
Universitair hoofddocent - Artificiële intelligentie
Principal Investigator - Donders Centre for Cognition
Principal Investigator - Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
Thomas van Aquinostraat 4
6525 GD NIJMEGEN
6500 HE NIJMEGEN
My expertise is on the development of machine learning algorithms, specifically in order to be applied to time series data obtained from neural recordings. These signals typically are high-dimensional, very noisy and non-stationary, i.e. they display changing signal distributions over time, which poses specific challenges to decoding algorithms.
I apply these methods by implementing closed-loop systems which intact with the nervous system. Such neurotechnological systems are brain-computer interfaces for communication, control and rehabilitation, as well as adaptive deep brain stimulation systems for patients with neurological or psychiatric diseases.
On the signal side, I work with recordings of the electroencephalogram (EEG), electrocorticogram (ECoG), local field potentials (LFP), magnetoencephalogram (MEG) and electromyogram (EMG). In addition, behavioural data like responses upon motor and language tasks are included.
- Adaptive deep brain stimulation techniques in patients with Parkinson's disease
- BCI-supported language training for chronic stroke patients with aphasia
- Advanced Brain-Computer Interfacing
- Brain-Computer Interfacing
- Internship Bachelor Biology
- MSc Human Biology internship
- Master (Medical) Biology SMI/SIS internship
- Master (Medical) Biology education internship
- Master (Medical) Biology research internship 1
- Master (Medical) Biology research internship 2
- Master Thesis (TWM)
- Research Proposal
- Review Article