prof. dr. I. Toni (Ivan)
Principal Investigator - Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
Hoogleraar - Cognitieve psychologie
6525 EN NIJMEGEN
6500 HB NIJMEGEN
My research is focused on the mechanisms supporting the integration of rules, percepts, and concepts into the sensorimotor processes that lead to overt behavior. I address this issue in healthy, paediatric, neurological, and psychiatric populations, using neurophysiological techniques, to understand the neural implementation of computational mechanisms supporting instrumental and communicative actions.
Concerning instrumental actions, I wish to understand the cognitive and cerebral structures that make goal-directed movements possible. This category of movements is the building block for fundamental human abilities like object prehension, tool use, and other complex actions. The major contribution of this research line has been to define how lateral occipito-temporal cortex, inferior parietal cortex, and premotor cortex structure an action plan on the basis of perceptual features. The findings suggest that perceptual knowledge influences sensorimotor processes by biasing movement selection at the earliest stages of planning, in contrast to existing models postulating temporal precedence of visuospatial over perceptual information processing.
Concerning communicative actions, I wish to understand how our actions can be used to modify mental states in other people. We postulate that communicative actions, even more so than instrumental actions, are organized from the earliest stages according to abstract conceptual knowledge, e.g. the inferred desires and beliefs of the addressee. The major contribution of this research line has been to define a neurophysiological mechanism for the selection of novel communicative actions. We have shown that communicative innovation relies on neuronal computations that are shared across generating and understanding novel shared symbols, operating over temporal scales independent from transient sensorimotor behavior, and dependent on the shared conceptualizations of a signal’s use.
- Bramson B, den Ouden HEM, Toni I, Roelofs K (2020) Improving emotional-action control by targeting long-range phase-amplitude neuronal coupling. eLife 9:e59600 Volledige tekst
- Stolk A, Noordzij M, Verhagen L, Volman IAC, Schoffelen JM, Oostenveld R, Hagoort P, Toni I (2014) Cerebral coherence between communicators marks the emergence of meaning. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 111:18183-18188 Volledige tekst
- Stolk A, Verhagen L, Schoffelen JM, Oostenveld R, Blokpoel M, Hagoort P, van Rooij I, Toni I (2013) Neural mechanisms of communicative innovation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 110:14574-14579 Volledige tekst
- Verhagen L, Dijkerman HC, Medendorp WP, Toni I (2013) Hierarchical organization of parietofrontal circuits during goal-directed action. Journal of Neuroscience 33:6492-503 Volledige tekst
- Volman I, Roelofs K, Koch S, Verhagen L, Toni I (2011) Inhibition of anterior prefrontal cortex impairs control over social emotional behavior. Current Biology 21:1766-1770 Volledige tekst
Onderzoeksbeurzen en -prijzen
- 2022 - 2027: Research grant from European Reearch Council on "Human communication as joint epistemic engineering" (ERC Advanced programme; ~2.5 m€ - main applicant: Ivan Toni).
- 2021 – 2027: Research grant from NWO-STW on “Neural and computational mechanisms of social-emotional regulation (Open Competition programme; ~0.75 m€ - main applicant: Ivan Toni).
- 2017 – 2022: Research grant from Language in Interaction consortium, NWO on "Creating a shared cognitive space: The use of language in interaction" (~1.5 m€, project coordinator: Ivan Toni).
- 2011 – 2015: Research grant from NWO on “What is a mental simulation?” (Program “Brain and Cognition: An Integrated Approach”; ~500 k€ - main applicant: Ivan Toni; co-applicants: Chris Dijkerman, Floris de Lange, Frans Leijten).
- 2009 – 2014: Research grant from NWO-MAGW on “Raising glasses and pointing fingers: A neurocognitive account of communicative actions” (VICI Programme; ~1.3 m€ - main applicant: Ivan Toni).
Senior Editor – The Journal of Neuroscience
(01 januari 2012)
The Journal of Neuroscience