Zoek in de site...

Student Service Desk (SSD)

Student Service Desk FNWI
Heyendaalseweg 135, 6525 AJ Nijmegen
room: HG00.051
tel. (024) 3652200
e-mail: studentinfo@science.ru.nl

The SSD is open:
Monday till Thursday from 10.00 - 16.00 hr and Friday from 10.00 - 14.00 hr.


Students can go to the Student Service Desk for all study- and education-related questions, including questions regarding the study programmes. Due to the long opening hours, students have the opportunity to walk in and ask their questions on site, as well as taking care of administrative matters such as:

- Making appointments with student advisors
- Get information regarding study programmes, regulations, and other services for students at the Faculty of Science
- Requesting exams and other exam- and education-related matters


You have to contact the SSD in case of:

  • Termination of study or (temporary) interruption of study
  • Change in study direction
  • Conformation that the registration of a specific study has been extended
  • Application for specific examinations (including Bachelor's exam and Master's exam)

For more information about date of examination, date of apply for the master's exam or date of receiving your Bull, contact the SSD.

Be aware that you have no entrice to Intranet as soon as you have ended your study.

Student Information Desk (Radboud)

Comeniuslaan 4
tel.: (024) 361 23 45 (8.30 - 12.30 and 13.30 - 17.00)
e-mail: balie@dsz.ru.nl
web: http://www.ru.nl/currentstudents/

The SID is open:
Monday to Friday from 10.00 to 17.00 hr
With the exception of each first Friday afternoon of the month and on holiday- and vacation-days.

The Student Information Desk is the central point of contact of the Radboud University. For questions regarding all sub-departments of the Students Affairs Office, such as the Central Student Administration Office, the University examination office, and the student counseling department, you can go to the Student Information Desk. Their staff members can inform you about all kinds of procedures and are usually able to provide you with an immediate answer. You can contact the Student Information Desk for the following matters, among others:

  • (Re)Enrollment, Studielink, disenrollment, and graduation.
  • (Making an appointment for) Student counseling, including the student deans, -psychologists, and -counselors; study and career guidance; courses and workshops; or notifications of study delay due to exceptional circumstances.
  • Request (information on) the Graduation Fund ("Afstudeerfonds") and Loans Emergency Funds ("Leningen Noodfonds")