Searching and organising
How to choose an internship department?
- This prospectus contains a list of research departments that are suitable for doing your research internship. For some departments there are prerequisites. Check the list and start looking for an internship timely.
- For instance, think about the discipline that interests you most. You can also and discuss your considerations with your academic mentor.
- Or think about the courses you enjoyed or thought were interesting and which lecturers appealed to you. Visit the department website to see what kind of research is being done there. Consider whether you meet the required knowledge criteria of the department: Are your electives in line with the research of the department? Talk to senior students, student assistants, lecturers, etc. about your interests.
- Think back on the colloquia you attended.
- Contact the department(s) in which you are interested: send an e-mail to the professor or one of the lecturers to schedule an appointment. They may possibly refer you to another staff member first.
- Discuss the potential for an internship. What kind of research could you contribute to? Does this research appeal to you? Talk to your future supervisor as well (often a PhD candidate) about the research to see if there is a match. It’s ultimately your decision whether or not you accept an internship position.
What do you need to organize for an internship?
- Register in Osiris for the Bachelor’s internship: course code NWI-MOL200. You will receive an email with a link to the internship planning forms.
- Together with your supervisor, fill out this internship planning form and make sure all details for both parties have been discussed.
You will have a daily supervisor and a responsible supervisor. The latter is a professor or assistant professor (permanent staff member) and is responsible for grading of your internship. No one else can sign for your grade. In consultation with them, a second evaluator is also appointed
- On the internship planning form you must fill out not only the start date and expected end date, but also other activities that you perhaps have during your internship period, for example, follow a course or be a student assistant. These extra activities will influence the effective length of your stay at a department
- Also discuss the planning with your student advisor
- Make sure you complete the form and upload it within one month, and before the start of your internship. The internship should be approved. If not, you will be notified by email.
- The internship ends with writing a report. You will get feedback from your supervisor on a draft version.
- Upload the final version to: http://thesissubmission.science.ru.nl. This will check the report for plagiarism, it will automatically archive the report an will enable your supervisor of grade it. Your grade will be submitted to Osiris, where you may check it.