Internships in the Valley
Internships in the Valley is a collaborative effort of the consulate-general of the Netherlands in San Francisco, The Association of Universities in the Netherlands (VSNU) and the Dutch research universities. Aim is to create, with the help of a Talent Committee and 5000 Dutch alumni that live and work in the Bay Area, a wide portfolio of interesting internship companies.
The programme matches entrepreneurial Master's and PhD students with internship positions at innovative startups and established corporations in Silicon Valley and San Fransisco.
Applied Materials, Atomwise, Bas5genomics, Demetrix, LMT, Ligand Pharmaceuticals, LinkedIn, Roose Lab, Segmed, Shell, Silicon Valley Bank and Tellus are some of the companies that have already confirmed their participation.
Who can apply?
Candidates from all fields of study/disciplines are welcome to apply. Especially:
- Innovative thinkers, with a pro-active and can-do mentality;
- Candidates interested in entrepreneurship, innovation, data sciences and/or technology;
- Candidates currently enrolled as a Master of PhD student at a Dutch university, or graduated less than a year ago (degree obtained in 2022).
Students with a minimum GPA average of 7 or higher, and candidates with demonstrable entrepreneurial skills on their resume are preferred.
What to expect as a selected candidate?
The period, duration, working hours and possible internship allowance will depend on the company, and is something you will need to align with each other. Selected Radboud students may be eligible for an Individual Travel Grant. Radboud PhD candidates may be eligible for a Radboud Internationalisation Grant for outgoing PhDs.
If such an internship fits within your study programme, or is extracurricular, has to be assessed by your faculty internship coordinator. Selected PhD candidates should discuss possibilities with the supervisor of their department. As soon as there is a concrete internship proposal offered to you, you can discuss this.
The Internships in the Valley organisation will be there for you all the way. They do not only offer support with a smooth J-1 visa procedure in collaboration with the Netherland-America Foundation, but also with finding accommodation, preparations for living in the USA and getting acquainted with American business culture.
Check out www.internshipsinthevalley.nl for more information on frequently asked questions. On the Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn you will find updates from (new) internship companies and interesting content about life in the Valley!
They are organizing two events that students can attend to get more in-depth info about the program, on:
- Wed 23 Nov, 5-6pm CET, Info and Q&A session about the application procedure and the program with Maggie Maloney from the Netherland-America Foundation
- Thu 1 Dec, ‘Learn From The Insiders 6-7pm CET, promotional webinar with interesting guest speakers such as: consul-general Dirk-Jansen, interns who are now in the US, Robert Visser, Vice President of the CTO office at talent partner Applied Materials, and Talent Committee member Carmen Pop, Chief of Staff at Asana.
More information about these sessions can be found on Internships in the Valley
In case of general questions, you can contact the organisation at email@example.com
In case of questions about the Radboud selection or IRS-grant / Radboud Internationalisation Grant you can contact Rob van Leeuwen at Student Life and International Mobility.