Zoek in de site...

What to do in case of a calamity abroad: tips and guidelines

General tips

  • Before you leave, prepare yourself as thoroughly as possible for the country you are travelling to. This means studying the country’s language and culture, but also checking the local situation via the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This ministry issues travel advice for different countries. Check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs news site, or contact them in case of questions before your departure. You can of course also contact the university, organisation or company where you will be staying, studying, doing an internship or working.

  • Radboud University's guideline for travelling abroad follows the Ministry’s advice. This means that if the Ministry does not recommend travelling to a given country, we will also advise you not to go. Should you decide to go nonetheless, it goes without saying that you will be doing so at your own risk.

  • Make sure that your parents and Radboud University student advisor or internationalisation coordinator have the names and details of your contact persons abroad: the university, organisation or company where you will be staying, studying, doing an internship or working. And vice versa: make sure your contacts abroad have the details of your home front (parents, student advisor and contact person at Radboud University).

  • Some embassies and consulates have a mailing list which they use to create an email inventory of Dutch citizens who might need help. Your mobile telephone number is particularly important in this context, because most people have their mobiles with them at all times and mobiles are not dependent on an external power supply. If the Dutch Embassy in your country of destination has such a list, we strongly advise you to register for it.

  • Keep in touch with the home front if you can so that people know how you are doing. It’s better to not agree on a fixed time for calling, because if you are unable to call at the agreed time for whatever reason, people might worry unnecessarily.

  • Try to remain informed of the local situation by reading newspapers and following the news on Internet. You can for instance check sites such as Radio Netherlands Worldwide (www.rnw.nl). In this way you can avoid unpleasant surprises.

  • Bring along some extra money in case your bank card is blocked or lost and/or you have unexpected expenses.

  • Use your common sense and do not take unnecessary risks.

Contact information in case of an international calamity

In case of an international calamity which involves/may involve Radboud University students/staff and/or their family members, a special procedure applies. 

Therefore all outgoing exchange students will receive a calamity telephone number that they can dial if such a calamity occurs: + 31 24 3619000