HoH consists of seven research projects that each cover a specific famine, or specific set of famines:
- Between Conflict and Solidarity: Famine Legacies in Ukraine, Russia and the Netherlands is carried out by Ingrid de Zwarte.
- The 1845–1848 Famine in Flanders and the Netherlands: Educational Legacies and Strategies is conducted by Lotte Jensen.
- Teaching Great Famine Legacies in North America is carried out by Marguérite Corporaal.
- Framing Famines: Memory, Museums, and Visual Culture is conducted by Charley Boerman.
- Conflicting Legacies of Hunger in Germany is carried out by Anne van Mourik.
- Teaching Ireland’s Great Famine: Educational Practices in Schools and the Heritage Sector is conducted by Lindsay Janssen.
- Spain’s Años del Hambre: Formal and Informal Educational Practices is carried out by Gloria Román Ruiz.
If you want to read more about the project design, click here (pdf, 285 kB).
“Maaemon Syli” (Nurmes). Photograph by Andrew Newby
Hongerwinter, NIOD, Menno Huizinga collection