- Stricter rules examination registration
- Resit at Computing Science for the 3rd time
- I have overlapping exams
- Deregistering from an exam
- When registering, Osiris gives an error message
1. When do I need to register for my exam/resit? Why was I not allowed to do my exam/resit even though I showed up on time and could show my student ID?
See the STIP website for rules relating to exams: https://www.ru.nl/socialsciences/stip/faculty-study-information/study-information/examinations/.
Failure to register for an exam/resit means you cannot participate in that exam/resit.
At the Faculty of Social Sciences, when you register for a course for the first time, you are also automatically registered for the first exam course codes starting with ‘SOW’). For resits, you have to register yourself. Failing to do so excludes you from participation! If you are not registered for a resit, your name will not be on the invigilator's participant list, and you will be refused entrance to the examination room.
Students must register for exams/resits at least one week before the exam date.
The Faculty of Science (course codes starting with ‘NWI’) has different and stricter rules for exam and resit registration. Read these instructions carefully!
2. I need to resit a Computing Science (Informatica) course for the third time. How do I request a third resit?
It is no longer necessary to request an extra resit, so you can simply register yourself for the course and exam.
3. I have overlapping exams. What should I do?
When the faculty prepares the exam timetables, every effort is made to ensure that exams do not conflict, so this situation rarely occurs. If you have overlapping exams (where an exam, or a portion thereof, occurs at the same time as another exam) for mandatory courses, there are 3 options available; see below.
IMPORTANT: For elective courses, only the first and third (a & c) options apply.
- Prioritize one of the exams to do during the regular exam period and do the resit of the other course later in the academic year. The resit will count as a 2nd chance.
- If option 'a' is not possible, you may submit a request to reschedule an exam (mandatory courses only!). The request to reschedule an exam must be received a minimum of 3 weeks (15 working days)before the original exam date.
First, decide which course's exam you would like to prioritize (i.e., sit exam at the original date and time), then contact the examination board of AI (email@example.com) to ask if you can sit the other exam at another time. Include your student number and information about any facilities (e.g., extra time) that you may have. The examination board will contact the course coordinator to see if an alternative can be arranged if the request is valid. Our staff members will do their best to assist you with finding a solution, but there is NO GUARANTEE that the request to reschedule an exam can be approved, or that alternate arrangements can be made.
- Consult with the Student Advisor about your plans for the examination period (limited options!).
4. What is the deadline for deregistering from an exam?
If you are unable to take an examination, you should cancel your registration before the examination. For Social Sciences courses (prefix “SOW”), if you are not able to cancel your registration by yourself, you have until the end of the examination to contact STIP to request assistance. For Computing Science courses (prefix “NWI”), please read the rules in their prospectus: https://www.ru.nl/courseguides/science/rules-requests/courses-exams/registering-courses-exams/.
5. I tried registering for my resit in Osiris, but I get an error message. What should I do?
Students are automatically registered for their first exam attempt, but need to heed the deadline for resits: register at least 5 working days before the resit exam. As long as the deadline has not expired, you can contact the STIP to request assistance. For Computing Science courses (prefix “NWI”), please read the rules in their prospectus: https://www.ru.nl/courseguides/science/rules-requests/courses-exams/registering-courses-exams/.