Faculty of Social Sciences
Zoek in de site...

Once assigned to a foreign university

1. Nomination

  • After being selected for an exchange, you will be nominated at the university abroad. This means that we will inform that university that we have selected you for an exchange with them.
  • The university will send you an information email with info regarding registering at the university, how to select courses, housing, and -if relevant- visa procedures.
  • Depending on the contract and the semester you will be going on an exchange, you will be nominated in April/May or in September/November. The information e-mail from your host university will generally be sent in the semester before your exchange starts.

2. Grant

  • You will receive the link to register for the grant somewhere in April.
  • Best to wait with registering after you have received the information email from the university abroad (such as start date of the semester etc.)
  • Once your registration is complete you will receive the forms Grant Agreement and Learning Agreement plus additional information.
  • You will also receive a pre-signed and stamped DUO form to apply for OV-compensation if you have a student travel card. You just need to complete and submit it to DUO yourself.

3. Registration university abroad:

  • Learning Agreement: you will receive a learning agreement from Erasmus+/Holland Scholarship/Individual Travel Grant after you filled out the link to register for the grant. If not, please contact Erasmus+ (erasmus@ru.nl) or Holland Scholarship/ ITG (studentexchange@ru.nl).
  • Transcript of Records:  You can request a certified list of the courses you took here at the RU and the grades you received on this STIP-page.
  • Proof of (English) Language proficiency: you can use the Nomination Letter/Exchange Selection Letter that you’ve received from us around the same time you will be nominated.

4. Course selection and course approval:

  • consult the course catalogue for exchange students at the university abroad and fill in your Learning Agreement (an overview of the courses you take), which is a compulsory element of all grant applications.
  • courses from one of our partner universities are automatically approved as free electives and extra-curricular courses for your Psychology Bachelor and as extra-curricular courses if you are a Master student.
  • if you want to use courses abroad as domain electives for your Bachelor curriculum, you need specific approval for that from us (on behalf of the Examination Board). How do you get approval? Fill out the approval form (docx, 21 kB) and send it to tim.delange@ru.nl. Include the course descriptions of the courses abroad.
  • What makes a course an eligible domain elective? It should have a psychological content, it should fit your domain (B&C/B&E/D&H), there shouldn’t be (hardly) any overlap with courses you have taken at RU or you will take at RU during your Bachelor and it must have some kind of examination that your grade is based on. For examples regarding what kind of courses can be considered domain electives, check the domain electives that our own programme offers (in the course guide) or the excel file with examples of courses that other students have previously chosen abroad.
  • You will be informed by e-mail if your courses are approved. This may take up to two weeks, so make sure to send us the approval form well in advance before you need to finalize your course choice and hand in your Learning Agreement.

5. Credit and grade conversion

  • The universities outside of Europe have a different credit system and every country/university has their own grading system. If you want to know how many ECTS your course abroad is worth and how the foreign grades will convert into Dutch grades, have a look at this website.

6. Accommodation and subletting your room

  • Check with your host university whether they arrange accommodation for you and what the deadlines and requirements are. If you decide to search for a room on the private market, student testimonials from previous years could come in handy.
  • Consider subletting your own room while you are away to save some money, Radboud International can help with that, see here for more information and conditions.

7. RU exams abroad

  • If you study abroad in the second semester, the start of your semester abroad, might overlap with the January exam period here. So carefully check the start date of your semester abroad
  • If you have exams scheduled in January, you can send in a request to take them abroad.
  • we do our best to organise that. However, we cannot guarantee that it is going to be possible for everyone and every exam.
  • For exams (or resits) of compulsory B3 courses (and only for those!) we will find an alternative solution for you if the exam cannot be organized abroad, such as an exam in the summer after your semester abroad:

SOW-PSB3BC15E   B&C 3: Cognitive Neuropsychology

SOW-PSB3BE15E   B&E 3: Cognition, Attitude, Motivation

SOW-PSB3DH15E   D&H3: Psychology and Health

SOW-PSB3AS30E    Psychological Ethics

SOW-PSB3RS35E    Applied research methods Brain & Cognition

SOW-PSB3RS40E    Applied research methods Behaviour & Environment

SOW-PSB3RS45E    Applied research methods Development & Mental Health

SOW-PSB3DH23E   Clinical Assessment and Decision Making (because it is necessary                                 for the clinical Master here and the BAPD/BDC)