Key moments in the life of Titus Brandsma

23 February, Anno Sjoerd Titus Brandsma born in the hamlet of Oegeklooster near Bolsward in Friesland, The Netherlands.

17 September, enters the noviciate of the Carmelite Order in Boxmeer. His cloister name: Titus.

Studies philosophy and theology.

17 June ordained priest in the Cathedral of ‘s-Hertogenbosch.

Studies Philosophy and Sociology in Rome

Teacher of philosophy in the Carmelite secondary school in Oss.

Professor in the, established in the same year, Catholic University of Nijmegen (Philosophy and the History of piety, notably in Dutch mysticism).

Appointed by the Archbishop of Utrecht to be spiritual adviser to the Roman Catholic Association of Journalists.

Lectures on the dubious aspects of the ideology of National-Socialism.

Conversation with Monsignor Dr. J. de Jong, Archbishop of Utrecht regarding the situation of the Catholic press. Following this he undertakes visits to the directors and senior editors of the Catholic newspapers.

Early January, a report: “On the grounds of the systematic preparation of a resistance movement aimed against the German occupation authorities, Father Titus Brandsma must be immediately arrested and sent to a concentration camp”.19 January, arrested in Nijmegen and held in protective custody in Arnhem prison; taken from there to the prison for convicted offenders in Scheveningen and interrogated in The Hague on 20 and 21 January.

20 January – 12 March
Remains in a cell in Scheveningen.

12 March – 28 April
He was held in the police transit camp Amersfoort.

On Good Friday, 3 April
He presents a meditation to his fellow prisoners on Geert Grote and       the meaning of Christ’s suffering and our suffering.

28 April – 16 May
He was held as a convicted prisoner in Scheveningen.

16 May – 13 June
He was held in Kleve prison; the judge declares: ‘He sought to protect Christianity    from National-Socialism’.

13 June
He was transported to Dachau Concentration camp where he arrives on 19 June.

26 July, at 14.00
Titus dies after a few days of being in a state of unconsciousness.

1985, 3 November
Beatification by Pope John Paul II in Rome.