When you go abroad it is your own responsibility that you have adequate insurances. You need:

  • a travel insurance that also covers medical expenses. The Dutch basiszorgverzekering is not sufficient for medical care abroad. When you have annual travel insurance (doorlopende reisverzekering) please check if you are allowed to stay abroad for at least half a year.
  • a liability insurance (aansprakelijkheidsverzekering/Haftpflichtversicherung). This liability insurance is mandatory to receive a grant. Please check if there is no maximum fors the expenses covered.

Via this tool from AON, you can check if your current insurance is suitable for an exchange or internship abroad. If not you can directly book a more suitable one with AON, but of course, you can also look for other suitable alternatives with other companies.